How to Apply for Education Benefits
- Go to: https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/
- If you need assistance with the application for benefits, you can contact the School Certifying Official [RW1] at the college for assistance.
- If you are unsure of the benefits available to you, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or 1-800-827-1000.
How Much Money Will I Receive?
Monthly education pay is based on which GI Bill® the veteran is entitled to receive and the length of the qualifying military service. Current payment rates can be found by visiting the VA online rate tables. Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients’ tuition and fees payments will be sent directly to the school. Monthly housing allowance and books/supplies stipends are sent directly to the student.
What Must I Do to Receive Payment?
Copies of the following documents must be submitted to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO), located in Student Services:
- Certificate of Eligibility—1st day of training
- DD Form 214—1st day of training
- Post-secondary Transcripts—within two trimesters of beginning training*
*Upon admission into a program of study, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requires that all students be evaluated and granted appropriate credit for any program related skills in which they show proficiency.
The SCO will certify the veteran’s enrollment with the VA. Once the VA receives a veteran's enrollment information, it can take 6-8 weeks for payment to be received.
To receive payment, students utilizing certain veteran education benefits are required to verify enrollment monthly. To see if you are required to verify your enrollment monthly to receive your monthly payment, please visit: https://www.va.gov/education/verify-school-enrollment/.
What Will Impact My Payments?
- Failure to submit the appropriate VA documents to TCAT
- Prior training for which you are granted credit
- Breaks in training greater than 7 days
- Failure to verify your enrollment
- Drops or Withdrawals
What if I Attended a Previous School or Training Program and used Veteran Education Benefits?
Visit https://www.va.gov/education/change-gi-bill-benefits/ to transfer your training to the TCAT.
Which GI Bill® Chapters Can Be Used at the TCATs?
- Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31)
- Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)
NOTE: VA education benefits can only be used for full-time on-campus programs.
Where Can I Find More Information?
Students can access their information on eBenefits
Students can submit questions to the VA by the following methods:
- Call the GI Bill® Hotline at 1-888-442-4551
- Ask VA
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.